Whole 30 Days 16-19 (Long post!)

Hi everyone!

I am so sorry for not posting about my Whole 30 experience for over 5 days now! Like you know, I went to NYC this past weekend, and I haven’t had the time to sit down and blog before or after the trip, until now. Because I do have a lot of days to cover, I’m going to try to keep it as short as possible. I will tell you about my experience in NYC though, but let’s start with what I ate leading up to the trip.

Day 16: Nothing special happened at work this day. I had a banana for breakfast, and some leftover ground beef and  roasted veggies for lunch. I snacked on some almonds, cashews, and raisins, a honeycrisp apple and a tangerine throughout the day. I also had to get a coffee because I was crashing hardcore around 2 o’clock. There is a Dunkin across the street from my work, so I got an iced coffee. Since I can’t drink iced coffee black, I asked the girl for a little, little, little bit of cream. It ended up taking me 2 days to finish the coffee, so I wasn’t too disappointed in myself for getting the cream. For dinner, we ended up going to a local pub because I really wanted some pulled pork for dinner. Unfortunately, the waiter told me that they cook the pork in a barbecue sauce, so there was no way for me to get it plain. I then asked if the sweet potato fries had a coating on them, because I figured I would get a burger with them as a side. Unfortunately, again, he said they did have a coating to them and that they weren’t gluten free… humph. I was kind of annoyed, but in the end I chose a delicious meal. I got a burger with onions, mushrooms, and avocado, on top of a bed of arugula. It was really tasty, and I was glad I stuck with a Whole 30 option.

Day 17: For breakfast, I had the rest of my iced coffee and the last bits of roasted vegetables from the nights before. I had an important phone call that morning with a friend in San Fran to go over my resume, so I couldn’t really eat much due to nerves. After the phone call, I felt kind of sad, because he told me he hadn’t heard of any job openings in the area yet. I ended up breaking down and weighing myself! I know, SHAME SHAME. I just couldn’t help myself, I needed some good news. I won’t tell you how much I had lost, but it was good!

After breaking that Whole 30 rule, I went shopping with my co-worker from Ohio. We were both kind of in a down-in-the-dumps mood, so retail therapy sounded perfect. We both ended up snagging a pair of gorgeous purple faux-suede booties with a gold zips. I also got a pair of light blue keds with sparkly laces. Both pairs together only cost $25!! Thank you DSW! After our shopping trip,  we felt much better, and we went to her house so I could meet her sweet dog. He is a Wheaton terrier, and is just a big furball of energy! I was feeling a lot happier after that, so I headed home to start on dinner.

While I worked on cooking up some caramelized onions and roasted garlic, I decided I was starving since I had only had some veggies and coffee all day. I ended up cooking 2 hard boiled eggs and some leftover ground beef with adobo seasoning. It was such a delicious late-lunch. When Tom got home, he cooked 2 filets for us, and I steamed some sliced zucchini. Dinner was SO good! My filet was cooked absolutely perfectly, and everything was delicious together. I was so satisfied, I didn’t even have a snack in the evening.

Filet mignon with steamed zucchini, caramelized onions, and roasted garlic.
Filet mignon with steamed zucchini, caramelized onions, and roasted garlic.

Day 18: Today was the day we left for NYC. I didn’t end up having any breakfast because I was running around getting ready. On the train ride there I ate some celery with almond butter that I had packed, and later in the ride I had a few nuts as well. The ride there was a pain in the butt, or shall I say, back. We road the Acela into the city, which is supposed to be better than the regular Amtrak trains. The seats were SO uncomfortable. My lower back was killing me the whole time, and I was absolutely freezing! The window at my seat wasn’t fully closed or something, so I just felt cold air blowing me on the whole time. It was miserable.

Once we got to the city, we checked in at our hotel, and headed out to find something to eat. I had looked up a few Paleo-friendly restaurants beforehand, however none of them were close enough to our hotel. I didn’t realized just how freezing it was going to be walking around the city, so I was not prepared to walk for over an hour each way. However, we ended up walking for over an hour trying to find something! I never thought it would be so difficult to find a yummy restaurant in NYC! Tom finally chose this Irish pub that didn’t have much selection, because it was just taking way too long to find a place.

For dinner, I was bad. I am sorry everyone, I was bad. I wasn’t pizza and cupcakes bad, but let me tell you, what I ate was not Whole 30. We started with “Shepherd’s Pie Nachos” for an appetizer. It was something completely different than we had seen on any other menus, so we decided to get it. It was tortilla chips covered in, what tasted like, a homemade cheddar cheese sauce, and on the side was the meat and veggie mixture used in their shepherd’s pie. It was pretty tasty, but I wouldn’t say it was worth the splurge. For dinner I had bangers and mash, which had 2 Irish sausages on top of mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. Once again it was mediocre. After our blah meal, we headed back to the hotel to rest before meeting up with some of my sorority sisters.

I had planned on wearing those new boots with a black and white polka dot peplum top and jeans, but it was going to be too far of a walk to wear heels. I had painted my nails before we left to match my outfit though. I used Carter on all of my nails except my ring finger. I started with a black base on my ring finger, and painted some white polka dots over the entire nail. Then I filled in 2 diagnosed rows of dots with gold Ciaté glitter polish. It’s difficult to describe, so see what I mean below.

Zoya "Carter" and Polka Dots

We went to a place called “The Standard” for a going away party for one of my sorority sisters who is moving. I live a few hours away from them, so I surprised her by coming. It was so much fun! I had a blast and was able to catch up with them all. I did end up having one alcoholic beverage though. I wasn’t going to, but Tom waited in line for literally 10-15 minutes at the bar for himself, and he was like just get something since I have waited this long. I got grapefruit beer with some vodka, which was one of the places specialty cocktails. It was really tasty, and I sipped it slowly throughout the night. We ended up leaving around 1:00am, because we had a half hour walk back to our hotel. It was SO cold, and when we finally got back, it took me over an hour to warm up. It was miserable.

Day 19: This morning, I was super excited because we were meeting up with one of my classmates! I mentioned before, this was the friend who’s wedding I am going to be in this summer. I haven’t seen her or her fiancé since May, so it was long overdue. We met up at his apartment, and he showed us his epic view of the Empire State Building. I am not a huge fan of New York or it’s landmarks, but it was a pretty cool view. They showed us the rooftop and we took some pictures too. After this we headed to Hell’s Kitchen NYC for some brunch.


We had a feast! I ordered mussels Provençal, which came with french fries and a big piece of bread. I also got some bacon on the side. I know the bacon and fries weren’t Whole 30, but this was probably the only time I will ever eat there, so I went for it. Everyone enjoyed their meals, and I even indulged with a little bread to soak up the amazing sauce on my mussels. After brunch, they walked us to the train station and we said goodbye, :(.


The train ride home was much more comfortable than the one on the  way there, thankfully. I kept dozing off every once in a while. When we got home, we went to the Mexican restaurant nearby for some dinner, because our fridge was completely empty. We told the waiter to please not bring any tortilla chips, seeing as Tom cannot resist them, lol. We both got fajitas and skipped the tortillas and rice. I had chicken and shrimp with peppers and onions, and it was so satisfying. I don’t even remember what else we did that night because I was just so pooped out. I had to get some rest for work the next day, since I didn’t have the holiday off.

Sorry this post was so long everyone! I guess I had more to catch you up on than I thought. I hope you guys had a great weekend and I will talk to you soon! Have you checked out my Valentines Day tutorials: One and Two? Let me know what you think!

xo Becky

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: