Whole 30 Days 22&23

Hi everyone!

So this week has been a lot more hectic than I thought it was going to be. I am officially an Auntie! It is as surprising to me as it is to you. I don’t know if I had mentioned that my younger sister was pregnant, but she was not supposed to be due until May. She unfortunately gave birth to the baby on the 23rd, which is SUPER early,  but I will get into that a little later in this post.

Day 22: This morning was the day after the blizzard. My friend picked me up so we could go in to work together, since my car has a habit of not working well in wintry conditions. The roads were empty, although they were covered in snow. We got to work and were miserable because we knew the day would be filled with no shows. I munched on a banana and ended up calling all the scheduled patients to see if they were planning on coming in or if they wanted to reschedule. We ended up having about 4 patients show up out of, I think, 8. When lunch time came around I was starving. When the days are slow like that, I always find myself thinking about food. It doesn’t help that there were Girl Scout cookies in the back by the microwave tempting me!  I stuck to my pulled pork and broccoli packed lunch. For a snack I had some almonds, cashews, and raisins, and later in the day I had a tangerine.

We were able to leave work a little earlier than usual since the 5:00pm patient didn’t show. When I got home I had some more pulled pork and broccoli for dinner, which I did not mind since it was delicious. I warmed up some tomato sauce on the side to dip my broccoli in too.


After dinner I  blogged for a while. I had a wicked bad dessert craving, so I decided it was a caramelized banana kind of night. I cooked up a banana each for Tom and I and topped them with cinnamon and almond butter. It was completely satisfying, and much better for me than a cookie!

Day 23: This was the most surreal day. I woke up at 6:30am and was planning on making some eggs and garlic spinach for breakfast, because I hadn’t had a real breakfast before work in a while. This didn’t end up happening because I was soon sick to my stomach. I saw I had 2 text messages on my phone: one from my mom and one from my little sister. The first from my mom said that my sister had gone into labor at only 24 weeks! The second… was a picture of a teeny tiny premature little baby girl laying in a hospital bassinet! I was shocked and stunned and sickened all at the same time. I have had a pretty intense education in biomedical sciences so I am familiar with the severity of this kind of birth. I was a mess all morning and didn’t get to do anything I had planned because I was calling everyone trying to find out the status of my sister and Baby S.

Thankfully, my workplace is very close to the hospital that the baby was transferred to. My sister was doing fine, and she was going to be transferred there later as well. We were pretty light on patients this day, so I told my preceptor the situation and headed over to the hospital to meet up with my parents. We had to wait a few hours before they would let us in to see the baby because they had to make sure she was all hooked up and settled first. We ended up having lunch from the hospital while we waited. I had brought my own lunch to work, but didn’t bring it with me so I  had some roast pork loin, mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts from the cafeteria. It was surprisingly delicious and I know, mashed potatoes aren’t Whole 30, but sue me. I didn’t even realize I wasn’t supposed to eat them until it was too late. I had already broken the Whole 30 rules once that morning anyways, and stress-ate a single Girl Scouts shortbread cookie…. That stuff was not important to me then.

We finally got to see the baby, and it was crazy. She is so small, only 1.8 lbs, but she is SO strong! She  was lifting up her little arms and legs, which had heavy IV equipment and wrappings on them. She has a mini diaper on that is too big for her little body. She was using a ventilation tube at the time, to assist in her breathing. She is so little that the part of her brain that tells us to breathe automatically isn’t fully developed, so she can forget to breathe if she falls asleep or tired. She looked pretty good to me though, for being so premature. Thankfully, the doctors said all of her tests were coming back with good results. They allowed us to touch her if we wanted to, but I was too afraid because she was so fragile. I stayed for a couple of hours longer and was able to see my sister, but then I had to go back to my office because I had a patient coming in.

The rest of the day dragged, and I couldn’t stop staring at the pictures I had taken of my new niece. It doesn’t feel real, since she looks like a little doll instead of a normal healthy baby. I think she is going to do really well though. I headed home, and Tom and I decided to go to Ted’s for dinner because neither of us felt like cooking. I was so exhausted even though I hadn’t been awake any earlier than normal. I guess all the excitement and nervousness drained me out. For dinner I decided to get something other than a burger like I usually get. I decided on their salmon with a baked sweet potato  and some green beans. The green beans were meh, but the sweet potato and salmon were delicious.  It came with a little pot of butter, but I steered clear of that. However, all I could think about after dinner was eating cookies. I guess it just goes to show the emotional connection I have with food!  I had a super stressful day, and what did I want to do? Eat. Yep, that is me, but I did not follow through with anymore non-whole 30 cravings, thankfully.


After dinner, we had to go to Walmart for a few things, and we ended up browsing the grocery area. Tom found some plantain chips that were Whole 30 friendly, so we decided to get them. We also picked up some clementines for me too, because Trader Joe’s was out when Tom went the other day. We tried the chips when we got home, and oh my gosh! They taste just like Fritos, lol, which was one of my favorite junk foods! The plantain chips aren’t organic or non-gmo, but what are you gonna do? We don’t have the kind of funds right now to worry about being that strict. I really enjoy them, and I think they will be a great snack option when I am looking for something salty. Once we put everything away, we went right to bed. Like I said, I was so tired, and I think I fell asleep almost instantly. I was planning on going to visit the baby again early in the morning, so I wanted to get to bed early anyways.

Well that is what I was up to the past couple of days. All of my friends and family have been really supportive of little Baby S. and my sister, and it’s nice to know everyone is thinking of them. I hope she will pull through like a champ because I need a little niece who’s nails and toes I can paint!

Talk to you guys in a few,

xo Becky

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: